External Email - Use Caution

Dear Freesurfer experts,
I got the area of a cluster by two methods, and found the results were
inconstant.

Method 1:  During group level analysis, the individual surface was normalized
to fsaverage. I exported the cluster area and label file by command
mri_surfcluster.
The command ws as followed:

mri_surfcluster --in ./sig.nii.gz  --subject fsaverage --hemi lh --centroid
--annot aparc --thmin ${thp} --sign ${sigsignTemp} --no-adjust --minarea
${tharea} --sum area${tharea}.${sigsignTemp}${thp_infilename}.cluster.summary
--o area${tharea}.${sigsignTemp}${thp_infilename}.cluster.nii.gz --ocn
area${tharea}.${sigsignTemp}${thp_infilename}.ocn.nii.gz --olab
$Dir_Subj_fMRI/$out_dir_group/$analysis/$contrast/label_area${tharea}.${sigsignTemp}${thp_infilename}/label

Method 2: I calculated the cluster area using  the label file outputed by
mri_surfcluster  via the matlab funciton read_curv. I did this to test the
method for calculating the area of a label manually drawn by me.
1, I first got the area of each vertex by the command
     area = read_curv('../fsaverage/surf/lh.area');
2, I red the IDs of vertices in the label file and added 1
3, I got area values of vertices in the label file and summed them.

I found the areas calculated by the Method2 were much smaller(except one ROI)
than the ones exported by mri_surfcluster as shown below.

Area from Method 1:
# ClusterNo   Size(mm^2)   NVtxs   Annot
   1         833.94    1999     postcentral
   2         578.52    1300   precuneus
   3        243.78     463     middletemporal
   4        184.72    344   inferiorparietal
   5        111.76    292   insula

Area from Method 2:
ClusterNumber  Area(mm^2)     NVtxs AnotomicalRegion
1637.39 1999 postcentral
2 480.44 1300 precuneus
3 140.37463 middletemporal
4 166.33344 inferiorparietal
5112.76292 insula

 What's the reason? Where did I do wrong in the method 2?

Thanks.

Best,

zhiwei

Zhiwei Wang(王志伟), Associate Investigator

International Center for Primate Brain Research

Center for Excellence in Brain and Intelligence Technology

Institute of Neuroscience,Chinese Academy of Sciences

Room 215, Building #5, 500 Qiangye Road, Shanghai, 201602,China