External Email - Use Caution

If you prefer to run the last stable release (7.4.1),
 then I suggest downloading and installing the Intel binary package
installer,
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/7.4.1/freesurfer-macOS-darwin_x86_64-7.4.1.pkg
  To bypass some security prompts, right click on the package file and
then choose "open will default ..."

You should check the path, but I think you would set things up in the (bash)
shell as,
$ export FREESURFER_HOME=/Applications/freesurfer/7.4.1... source the
environment setup script ...$ source $FREESURFER_HOME/SetUpFreeSurfer.sh

If you don't mind running the latest development build (which can be
unstable), then you can try the native arm64 binary package installer
via the link,
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/dev/freesurfer-macOS-darwin_arm64-dev-20240327.pkg
 Install the same way via right click as listed above.  Then check the
path, e.g,
$ export FREESURFER_HOME=/Applications/freesurfer/dev... source the environment
setup script  ...$ source $FREESURFER_HOME/SetUpFreeSurfer.sh

Assuming you have your license file setup, e.g., to be read via
FS_LICENSE environment variable with license.txt under your home
directory,

$ export FS_LICENSE=$HOME/license.txt

- then it should work to run freeview.  I would first try running
freeview from the shell command line w/o any arguments to see if it opens an
empty window.

$ freeview

Then exit and try it again with a known to be good volume,

$ freevivew $SUBJECTS_DIR/bert/mri/brain.mgz

- R.