External Email - Use Caution

Dear FreeSurfer team,
I'm working on a project where I need to align an existing FreeSurfer
segmentation (from an older T1 image) with a the same T1 image of the same
subject, but it is debiased and in a different atlas space. The goal is to
leverage the manual edits and refinements made in the original FreeSurfer
output while utilizing the improved image quality of the new T1 scan.
Current approach:

  1.  Using mri_robust_register to align the old FreeSurfer T1 to the new T1
image
  2.  Applying the resulting transformation to all FreeSurfer volumes
(mri/*.mgz files)
  3.  Transforming the surface files using mri_surf2surf
  4.  Running recon-all -autorecon2-cp -autorecon3 on the transformed data

Main Issue: After applying our current approach, we've noticed that while the
volume files (mri/.mgz) seem to align well with the new T1 image, the surface
files (surf/.pial, surf/*.white, etc.) are not aligning properly. This
misalignment is causing discrepancies in our cortical measurements and
affecting downstream analyses.
Questions:

  1.  Is our approach appropriate for maintaining the quality of the original
segmentation while adapting to the new T1 image?
  2.  Why might the surface files be misaligned when the volume files seem to
align correctly?
  3.  Are there alternative methods or additional steps we should consider to
ensure proper alignment of both volume and surface files?
  4.  How can we ensure that manually edited regions in the original
segmentation are preserved, especially for surface-based edits?
  5.  Are there specific quality control steps you'd recommend for verifying
both volume and surface alignment?

Any guidance, alternative approaches, or explanations you could provide would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Maame