On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 05:35:17PM +0200, Joakim Berglund wrote:
> Well... a database has advantages but also disadvantages...
> It absolutly requiers that you music has a valid and correct mp3 info
> otherwise it would just be filed in very strange categories.
> If you are missing artist on one song in an album it prob will become
> wrongly sorted..

The way I'm thinking is that we preserve the "file system" based
browser, so we don't mess with how things look on the screen. We are
just using the database to allow us to play with the metadata.

I certainly don't want things to be dependent on MP3 tags, I'm just
thinking that for those people that want it, we could offer some very
nice mp3 options.

I should mention that I solely use MP3s for my listening (Freevo at
home, iPod when out) so my tags are about as perfect as I can get, but
I know not everyone will want or need this stuff.

Think of it as an optional plugin.

> Well this depends on how far you want to integrate the DB idea.
> That was the mail reason why I dumped mythtv and went with Freevo instead.
> So I would not recommend going with one....

> But if you want to use an database I would recommend SQlite
> http://www.sqlite.org/
> Very fast and lightwieght

I'm hoping whatever we choose is supported by something like Twisted
so we don't have to increase requirements. The reason I want to avoid
something like MySQL is because it's a huge requirement, and isn't
really necessary, since, quite frankly, MySQL is only slightly better
than flat files, and we don't need a true RDBMS anyway.

Aubin