> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Aubin Paul wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 04:40:41PM +0200, Thomas Schueppel wrote:
>> >    The idea of mmpython is to retrieve a common set of
>> >    information from these files. Hence using a common
>> >    table for wmv/avi/ogm would be feasible. If I would
>> >    layout the mmpython class structure into tables I
>> >    would do the following:
>> >
>> >    MUSIC
>> >    AV
>> >    IMAGES
>> >    DISCS / COLLECTIONS / PLAYLISTS (an aggregation of the
>> >    above)
>>
>> Sounds ok to me I guess, though I don't know how much of an advantage
>> is gained by putting the playlists/collections in the database. It
>> only makes things more complicated for people building playlists since
>> text files are generally accepted...
>
>       Yes. The main reason are audio CDs, I think. They contain
>       a collection of Songs. Perhaps we should try to work
>       around that.

I can see how it would be useful to have a SQL DB to support file
navigation. Most users would probably start using Freevo with the regular
folder/file structure, and playlists in standard text formats. But for
more advanced users, a DB could support features like browsing movie/music
collections based on meta-data instead of the file structure.

For instance, I have backed up a large number of my legally purchased VHS
tapes and music CDs to my harddrives. I add harddrives as I need more
space,  but I usually want to browse my movies by genre (comedy, action,
etc), not by which harddrive they happen to be on.

I think it would be useful to have playlists in the DB since the playlists
would link to the DB anyway for the metadata. There could be a "sync"
option in case the user wants to share a playlist with winamp on a PC for
instance.

                  / Krister