On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 05:49:57PM -0600, Krister Lagerstrom wrote:
> That can't be right, since it implies that your harddrive can read data
> at 200 Mbytes/sec? But do you really need to do an MD5 on a file to
> notice changes, isn't it enough to check size, last change date etc?

Seemed weird to me too... but a burst read isn't the same as a
sustained seek+read. I use reiserfs, and I used 'time' to time the
command, so it might not be 100% accurate, but essentially it happened
as fast as I could hit enter... there was clearly not a visisble
delay, and I just did it a couple of times with the 'time' command.