Rob Shortt wrote:
> Can we utilize some sort of ringbuffer here?  It doesn't make much
> sense to record the entire length of a program (or tv watching
> session) all the time.

Maybe not. But it may also be good at the end of the viewing to ask
"do you wish to save this show?".

> Like with Thomas' old mplayer patch where it wrote its input to a
> ringbuffer file.  This file would be fixed in size and we would know
> the start, end, and read (where we are) positions at all times.

How does it work? It looks to me that it needs an mplayer patch. Right
now, the one big file should work. I also recalc the length before not
seeking.

>> And please test it, it may not work for all kinds of mpegs. Test this
>> with mediatest.py from mmpython. It should print out that it detected
>> 'ts' format.
>
> Does this only work for ts mpegs?  What about ps?  The pvr-250 cards
> work best with ps streams (the dvd formated ones in particular).  Also
> does this include mpeg1?

It works for two mpg1 and one mpg2 file I have here. If you have a
stream not working, give me an url were to download it and I try to
fix it.

> I am thinking about using mp1e or ffmpeg for analog tuners with no
> hardware mpeg.  This method could be used for DVB as well (mpeg2
> ps).

Try it. The goal is to make it work for all kinds of mpg.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type: text/plain