It's a ridiculous patent because it basically talks about the only
possible implementation of on screen display functionality. Seeing as
most of us hadn't even heard of this patent until recently, it seems
like it was the "obvious" implementation, hardly an innovative idea.

Every paper based TV listing I've seen uses a grid like this.