Dirk Meyer wrote:
Rob Shortt wrote:
class TVSettings:
    """
    vdev:        The video device, such as /dev/video.
    adev:        The audio device, such as /dev/dsp.

What does adev have to do with the tv settings? Aren't this normal
output settings? And what is /dev/video? I guess it is a simple
link. were is the destination?

/dev/video is a link, almost always pointing to video0. Adev matters for audio encoding on regular tv cards, you only get video from /dev/video0 and audio will come from /dev/dsp0 if using a loopback cable or from dsp1 or 2 if using something like btaudio plugin for sound directly from the card.

    input_type:  tuner, composite, svideo, webcam
    input_num:   The number of this input according to V4L
    tuner_norm:  NTSC, PAL, SECAM
    tuner_chanlist:  us-cable,

Problem here: for dvb we don't need this at all.

Right...

Or only TV_SETTINGS['dvb'].device = 0.

TV_SETTINGS['dvb'].adev = None

This is nonsense. We will never have an adev for dvb. I guess we need
some sort of intelligence here:

Yes, I was feeling wierd about that too. How about using an object oriented / inheritence approach as Kans suggested? TVSettings(), DVBSettings(), IVTVSettings(), each with apropriate properties.

TV_SETTINGS['dvb0'] = TVSettings()

This will auto-configure the TVSettings:
- set mode to dvb
- set device to adapter0

So TV_SETTINGS needs to be much more than a simple dict. But the
interface should be like the one you propose.

TV_SETTINGS['tv0'].vdev = '/dev/video1'
# Or maybe their second tuner is on video2
TV_SETTINGS['tv1'].vdev = '/dev/video2'

We can auto-detect this (more or less). Should we support /dev/video1
for tv0? Or do we also prefer /dev/videoX for tvX?

How about we not use tv/ivtv/dvb and use tvX/ivtvX/dvbX. tv0 should start at /dev/video0, etc. Maybe we can do something like TVSettings('tv', 0) or ('tv0') or TVSettings(0), DVBSettings(0), IVTVSettings(0).

-Rob

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by OSTG. Have you noticed the changes on Linux.com, ITManagersJournal and NewsForge in the past few weeks? Now, one more big change to announce. We are now OSTG- Open Source Technology Group. Come see the changes on the new OSTG site. www.ostg.com _______________________________________________ Freevo-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freevo-devel