> Al, > thats happened to me when the bttv or tuner id number is wrong in > modules.conf (bttv misconfigured) > > i bet when u "rmmod bttv tuner btaudio (etc)" the audio turns off, and > as soon as u "insmod bttv" again > the audio comes back on? if so its the bttv module(s) config.

Unfortunately not.... it starts playing even before bttv and tuner are
loaded.  I removed them from /etc/modules, rebooted and it still did it
half way through boot up.... odd, isn't it?

thats very odd, if it happened as soon as u turned ur pc on, id say hardware clitch, if its happening at boot time *some* sort of software/firware is activating the bttv audio, id guess anyway.

does insmod'ing and rmmod'ing the modules make any difference to the audio?

what about trying similar card/tuner (maybe just tuner #) numbers to ur card and re-inserting the bttv modules?

lastly, maybe the "automute" bttv option will help (should turn off audio unless reception strong, may not affect ur problem cos ur card may think its tuned and being used)

anyway, its interesting, let me know how u go,

rohbags.