> thats very odd, if it happened as soon as u turned ur pc on, id
> say hardware
> clitch, if its happening at boot time *some* sort of software/firware is
> activating the bttv audio, id guess anyway.

It seems to start after you first start recording from /dev/dsp, way after
the modules are installed... then you can't stop it,even if you stop
recording and unload modules.  Haven't tried unloading sound modules, but
that shouldn't be the solution.

k, starting when u record is different to starting at boot time. are you using the analogue or digital audio out on ur 878 card? 878's support both. can you give me some more info what ur doing when it happens?
when u start recording, what do u record, just audio? what program u using?
r u loading sound/v4l modules manualy b4 recording, or r they auto-loading?
anything odd in ur syslog/dmesg output?

> does insmod'ing and rmmod'ing the modules make any difference to
> the audio?
>
> what about trying similar card/tuner (maybe just tuner #) numbers
> to ur card
> and re-inserting the bttv modules?

I'll play around with these, but so far I have been unsuccessful unless I
specifically call the card type and tuner.

are u using the auto-detected card/tuner type?
most cards/tuners ive seen work ok with 2 or 3 different IDs but only work perfectly with one.

> lastly, maybe the "automute" bttv option will help (should turn off audio
> unless reception strong, may not affect ur problem cos ur card
> may think its
> tuned and being used)

Doesn't seem to be an option in the version of the module I am using... :(

it should be there, what version of bttv are you using?
im using:
Aug 1 06:36:22 dvr kernel: bttv: driver version 0.7.104 loaded
and in my modules.conf i have:
# bttv
##alias char-major-81 bttv
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 bttv
#options bttv card=10,26,51,70
#options bttv card=70 radio=1 pll=1 fieldnr=0 bttv_verbose=2 bttv_debug=1
options bttv card=70 radio=1 pll=1 fieldnr=0 bttv_verbose=2 automute=0
#options tuner debug=1 type=19,30
options tuner debug=1 type=20
options tvmixer debug=2 devnr=2
options tvaudio debug=1

as u can see my card took some playing around to work. but it works as card# 10,26,51 and 70, but only 70 works perfectly. the tuner also works ok as # 19,30 and 20, but 20 is perfect, note that when i used some other tuner numbers that wernt a perfect match, but still temic tuners, it gave me the same 'constant' audio problems u r having.

maybe u should set the debug options in ur modules.conf and double check syslog that ur not loading a digital audio device for ur tuner, and /dev/dsp is actualy ur tuner card, and /dev/dsp2 is ur sound card,
if so thats cool, just config ur system to load sound modules first, and bttv last (or set the /dev/dspX numbers from modules.conf) then u can record tv from /dev/dsp2 also u should have a 2nd digitial mixer with digital audio on a 878 card (bass/trebble/balance/vol), and then u wont need the analogue loop plug.
if ur not sure just set the debug options and modprobe the modules after a clean boot, and show me what dmesg or /var/log/messages says when loading sound and v4l modules.

Thanks for you continued assistance. I tried a few other things. I used an
external cable and connected the output from the tv card to the line-in on
the sound card. Same results, and recording from /dev/dsp still gets me
nothing. Video comes through fine, even with the correct channel. I did
once get it to work with the CD-IN jack, but I believe it was also playing
out my speakers.

if ur sure ur only using analogue audio out, just connect ur pc speakers directly to the audio output of ur bttv card, atleast ull know if its the sound card or tuner card thats playing with ur audio (but i thinks its the bttv)
and how'd u get sound via the cd-jack ? isnt that an internal 4-pin 'jumper' style plug? and ur using the normal 2.5mm male-to-male in-line headphone-style jacks (loop plug)arnt u? ..thats strange man :~

i got this gut feeling ur card is using digital audio out and theres some confusion with the setup.

hope this helps, let me know how u go,

rohbags.