I used the directions here:

http://www.sci.fi/~syrjala/directfb/matrox-tv-out-howto

mplayer worked with with standard fbdev haven't tried it with dfbmga yet
(but I will).

I did not recompile SDL with directfb (will I need to to get the OSD
running?)

I do get a frame buffer console after running this:

matroxset -f /dev/fb0 -m 5

matroxset -f /dev/fb1 -m 2

matroxset -f /dev/fb1 -o 1 2

con2fb /dev/fb1 /dev/tty0

When I fire up freevo the screen goes blank.
after i kill the process console comes back freevo reports an error
saying something along the line of video device unavailable/not found
(the actual error message escapes me right now will get it)

freevo.conf:
.
.
.
display = dfbmga
.
.
.

using freevo 1.4.1

redhat 9 w/2.4.25 kernel matrox GXXX frame buffer drivers compiled into
kernel (no modules).

lilo.conf:
.
.
.
append=" video=matrox:vesa:0x112"
.
.
.

/etc/directfbrc:

matrox-crtc2
matrox-tv-standard=ntsc

basically all the wiki documentation is a bit of a dead end.

I am a complete noob when it comes to frame buffer.

any help/suggestions are appreciated

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 12:35, Benjamin Zeiss wrote:
> hi,
>
> --On Monday, March 08, 2004 02:04:59 -0500 Josh Peck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > I believe I got everything to compile properly.
> >
> > however when I run freevo I get a black screen.
>
> come on. nobody can help you here with that little information. what about
> directfbrc, did you recompile sdl with directfb support, does mplayer work,
> etc. you gotta give more information!
>
> --
> Benjamin Zeiss

Josh Peck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>