Thanks for all your help Ben and Jortan the OSD is working.

SDL ./configure was unable to detect the presence of  DirectFB because
the pkg-config file directfb.pc was in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig instead
of /usr/lib/pkgconfig. something about default install path so I ...

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

and bingo

checking directfb supprt .... yes

move runtime libSDL out of the way and symlink to built lib

reboot and hapiness.

is the pkgconfig issue a quirk of DirectFB nothing else I've ever built
has done this.

again thank you to all for your help and patience.

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 04:43, Benjamin Zeiss wrote:
> hi josh,
>
> --On Thursday, March 11, 2004 01:55:39 -0500 Josh Peck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > do I should I dl and compile pygame from source?
>
> yes. also, you should again try to go step by step. there is no use in
> trying to run freevo if you aren't sure whether everything went right with
> SDL. you should set the SDL environemnt variables and then execute the SDL
> examples first. then you can go on and compile pygame. do the pygame
> examples then etc.
>
> to spare you some work, these are my SDL settings:
>
> export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directfb
> export AUDIODEV=/dev/em8300_ma
> export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dsp
> export SDL_PATH_DSP=/dev/em8300_ma
> unset SDL_VIDEO_YUV_DIRECT
> export SDL_VIDEO_YUV_HWACCEL=1
> export SDL_DIRECTFB_MGA_CRTC2=1
> export SDL_DIRECTFB_MGA_STRETCH=1
> export SDL_DIRECTFB_MGA_OVERSCAN=1
>
> they seem to work fine here. of course you should replace AUDIODEV and
> SDL_PATH_DSP with something that corresponds to your system.
>
> --
> Benjamin Zeiss
>

> --

Josh Peck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>