when I ran configure on SDL-1.2.7 I believe it detected DirectFB.
Makefile was generated in /src/video/directfb.

make all

make install

mplayer works like a champ from cl

ran freevo setup --geometry=640x480 --display=dfbmga

run freevo

this is what I get:

<the first part is due to the webserver already running>

WARNING: duplicate plugin activation, ignoring:
<audio.detach None None>

ROM_DRIVES: Auto-detected and added "('/mnt/cdrom', '/dev/cdrom',
'CD-1')"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./src/main.py", line 119, in ?
    skin    = skin.get_singleton()
  File "/usr/local/freevo/src/skin.py", line 75, in get_singleton
    exec('import skins.' + config.OSD_SKIN  + '.' + config.OSD_SKIN  + '
as skinimpl')
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/freevo/src/skins/main/main.py", line 82, in ?
    import xml_skin
  File "/usr/local/freevo/src/skins/main/xml_skin.py", line 108, in ?
    osd = osd.get_singleton()
  File "/usr/local/freevo/src/osd.py", line 234, in get_singleton
    _singleton = util.SynchronizedObject(OSD())
  File "/usr/local/freevo/src/osd.py", line 405, in __init__
    pygame.display.init()
pygame.error: No available video device

do I should I dl and compile pygame from source?

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:26, Benjamin Zeiss wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> --On Wednesday, March 10, 2004 12:13:44 -0500 Josh Peck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > fired up mplayer works beautifully.
>
> fine!
>
> > now compiling SDL w/DirectFB support.
> >
> > does it require a patch to the source tree?
> > are there instructions somewhere?
>
> not that i know of. i'm always staying bleeding edge by using almost
> everything from CVS - so i don't know whether the stable SDL version works
> without patches. however, you should better not use the latest SDL CVS if
> you are not familiar with C as you might need to do some simple patches to
> the directfb sourcecode of SDL to make it compile.
>
> --
> Benjamin Zeiss

Josh Peck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>