On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 06:19, Mary Strimel wrote:
> Hi Mick,
> Thanks for your suggestions, my results are below, and I will send a
> plate of chocolate brownies to Mick or anyone who can tell me what I'm
> (still) doing wrong! :)

My pleasure, I'll see if I can help any more..

> >> adevice=/dev/dsp
>
> >> Is the the onboard or is this the other sound card?
>
> I think /dev/dsp should be the correct one (PCI card), because if I run
> "aumix" with no arguments, the pcm slider controls the volume of the PCI
> card.  but maybe I'm wrong about this ...

Well, thats the same method I used to find my card.. If you were using
Alsa you would find it a little easier as alsamixer can tell you the
chipset the card is using..

> >> ls -l /dev/dsp*
>
> Gives me /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1, /dev/dsp2, /dev/dsp3;  [2 and 3 were
> created by btaudio when I loaded it in my failed efforts earlier, so
> shouldn't be relevant now that I'm doing the patch cable, right?].
> >> The play around with aumix -D
> >> /dev/pickyours
>
> Aumix reports the exact same info whether I use "aumix -d /dev/dsp -q"
> or "aumix -d /dev/dsp1 -q"
>
> according to aumix, mic is set to record at 100, igain at 100 or
> whatever value I set.  but, if I point mencoder to adevice=/dev/dsp1,
> mencoder halts with "unable to open /dev/dsp1: invalid argument" "this
> audio format not recognized or supported" error message.

What about line?  On my inbuilt card I have mic and line, only line is
the input though..  Mic is just 'reserverd space' on the chipset it
seems..

Maybe you should post a list of all the channels you have available?

> >> To find which sound card your meant to be refferencing..
>
> >> Thats about it..  Make sure 'capture' us unmuted and volume is turned
> up..
>
> How do I unmute "capture"?  [P.S., when using mplayer through the sound
> card, turning "mic" all the way up in aumix allows me to hear sound thru
> patch cable, so I assume that means I should start my mencoder string
> with "aumix -m 100 -m R -i 1" but it still gives no sound in the
> recorded file.  I've experimented with different levels for igain and
> using "line" rather than "mic" but that gives no sound either.]
>
> I'm sure there is something simple going on, I'm just not getting it ...
> thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Aah, ok, so mic is it for you then.  Try this:
run mplayer and get you sound going so you can hear it.. Then, open an
NEW console windows (or telnet window (ctl-alt-F1,F2 etc)), and just run
aumix to open the GUI.

Now play with the settings.. Remember what the important ones are set
to.. Then read the aumix man pages on how to set them via cli.. And
google search or post here if you are still stuck..

It sounds to me like your issue is with your aumix command and making
sure the capture channel is set right.. capture means that when devices
are listining to (via the system bus) /dev/dsp, oss will only output the
chanel that is set to capture..

Sorry if this is a bit basic mary, I think you are very close to having
this working..

Point to note: My line in had a high pitched wine, the only way to
minimise this wine for me was to upgrade to alsa, as igain in oss for my
chipset didn't work..  You may find the same with you card..

Mick