Hi.

First of all hi to everyone, this is my first post I guess - I am newbie to this list and to Freevo as well. I have Freevo installed for about 2 weeks only... Once the LIRC starts working for me I will be more or less happy.

2Dirk: it is funny - you said GUI ideas.. and well... everyone is throwing in any ideas :) .. and so will I...

To start with - and Dirk wrote about that - I would volunteer to help and implement some parts of what I am proposing. However I do not dare to say I would do it all myself for two reasons:
a) I am quite busy doing other stuff so if anyone would be waiting for me to deliver some functionality.. s/he might get upset by delays ;)
b) more importantly - I do not know Python but might give it a try to learn. I can do Java, PHP, HTML, JavaScript etc. if that helps for "transformation" :) Would it be worth trying?

Also, I already tried to read the the devs website (2 weeks ago or so) and this is something stopping me to try more - I cant find any reasonable documentation :( Maybe I looke into wrong places but I did not find any single starting point that would clear some questions I have and would kick me to start.

Talking about documentation - where the hell is DTD for fxd files? Or any COMPLETE example? I am open to admit I am totally blind but I honestly tried to find it and failed :)

So - here are the things I am currently missing in Freevo. Unlike many other Freevo users I am much more AUDIO oriented as I have only terrestrial TV here (4 channels and more or less they all suck :) ).

Secondly, I am assuming that Freevo is part of home network (=>internet) and so soem of the functions would need to be prepared by other means than purely by remote controller.

The list , finally:
A) WEB INTERFACE
a.1) playlist creation and management - for video and audio. Before you ask - yes playlist for videos. I download a lot of muic clips and so that makes sense to me :)
a.2) remote control over the web - PLAY feature :) + ENQUEUE
a.3) move/copy files - inside the Freevo "sandbox" - directory structure

B) GENERAL FEATURES
b.1) Random play of video files (maybe possible already by fxd file? --- but have not found). Once again - reason is music clips
b.2) Random play over directory and all subdirectories
b.3) Maybe rating? Personal rating ("when I am alone"), "family/flatmates" rating ("when everyone @home want to listen"), party rating ("when I have guests") - and play according to these modes -- so I would select "I am alone" .. and voila :)
Maybe it might be more generic -like custom creation and naming of the "categories" for rating - and then play according to these.

Next is inspired by cute Rio Karma player, sorry :)
b.4) Play by genre (+random)
b.5) Play by artist (+random); this could be done by implementing b.3 if the user organizes the files accordingly. But why dont we use freevo cache, database for this?
b.6) Play by "years" :) - Sounds of 70s, 80s, 90s ... you know? ;)
b.7) Whats new? Play whatever is new in Freevo in last <enter number> days/weeks/months
b.8) What I really like about Karma is "Entertain me" - which is the playlist of most popular songs. Plugin that seems to do this for XMMS is here: http://www.luminal.org/wiki/index.php/IMMS/IMMS
b.9) and "Forgotten gems" - something I liked but have not heard for <enter number> days/weeks/months
b.10) and well, generic "Reminder" - something I have not heard for <enter number> days/weeks/months. There _is_ a difference compared to b.9.

OK, I do not know whether you like at least some ideas or not, or whether it makes all sense to anyone else than myself :) As I said, I am willing to help with some parts of this.. I would be interested mostly in improving the web interface.

Don't kill me, please, and have a nice weekend.