Karl Lattimer wrote:
> 1) Wouldn't it be cool if I could watch TV on my mac through WiFi

Sure and Freevo 2.0 will be able to do that.

> 2) WOW, if I'm streaming network video I can pause/rewind it just like
> web radio

That is more a client feature. If you use xine you can also do that,
with mplayer you can't.

> 3) OMFGG, if freevo had a TV player interface to a vlc streaming server
> running then I could pause/rewind TV in freevo

Yes, and we already have a patch for mplayer to support chunk file
playing and we will put that in xine, too.

> I think the there are the following requirements,
>   * A VLC (running as a client) plugin for TV input
>   * A remote interface so the play/pause/rewind/fast forward buttons
>     work on tv

Arg. The client is only used for watching and you send play/pause over
the network. I hope they are using RTSP. Or is it your idea. If so:
don't! Timeshifting should be handled in the client, not the streaming
server.

>   * A method of changing channels ?! v4lctl/lirc-send/network somehow
>     for situations where the TV receiver is in another machine or viewer
>     is remote via network

For me there is no difference between a local recorder and a remote
one.

> It would probably be best to have a tcp server app for receiving the
> channel change commands and then acting on them, my reasoning for this
> is when you have a streaming video server there is no sense in closing
> off the channel change function to the network.

No, that's a bad hack. Use RTSP for that or control the recorder over
mbus.

Dischi

--
What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we