Quoting Cornelius Koelbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi,
> thats great.
> I also removed the HD from my freevo box.
> I run the box completely with pxe-boot from a root-nfs.
>
> Unfortunately there is still this anoying fan in the power supply. :(

With care, you can usually replace the fan in the power supply with one
that is quieter - perhaps one with an automatic speed control, or one
that is just plain quiet.

My Freevo system is a 2U sized rack mount chassy with two 80mm fans in
the front, and 80mm fan in the power supply, and an 80mm fan over the
cpu.

I can't hear it at all from the couch. Why? really quiet fans. The 80mm
fans in the case and ps are NMB fans i picked up quite cheaply
(identical to Dell replacement parts), the cpu fan is an outrageously
expensive Sanyo-Denki, but was the only decent 80x15mm fan i could find.

I use an AthlonXP-Mobile at 1.4ghz and an enormous Swiftech heatsink,
comprised of about a pound of copper with several aluminum screws
sticking out of it. Back when i had an Athlon 800 in there, i could run
it fanless with that heatsink in all but the hottest days of summer.

Take care not to overheat the system, though. Quiet fans generally move
less air than their louder cousins. I may only get away with the quiet
fan in my HTPC because i have two intake fans feeding one exhaust fan.