A mini ITX board with ytour chosen processor and then one of the really
good cooling systems works great for "silent" HTPC building.  I built
one that was smaller by buying a very basic watercooling system from
online and mounted the really small radiator in the back with a 120mm
fan that was running on 9 volts instead of 12. Cant hear it run,
processor is nice and cold even at full load.  Now to find Hard drive
coolers that are silent and the fans last more than 2 months.  A small
fan blowing on the bottom of a Hard drive makes an enormous difference.
Also PSU's that do not have the fan in back but on the side and only a
grille in back tend to be quiet because of the muffler effect of the
parts in the power supply.

Honestly though, even a noisy computer is not noticable when in use
unless you like the volume way down low.  the fans on my 42" plasma make
more noise than a normal PC does.