I'm soon making the jump to high definition TV.  I'm getting a 42" flat
panel LCD soon; 1920x1080 resolution.

I run freevo with a 2.4GHZ P4 in a shuttle PC form factor, diskless,
feeding files from another linux NFS server.

I recently upgraded the video card to a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 which
supports DVI and xvmc.  I now run mplayer with -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc

I also upgraded my recording server to a pchdtv 5500 card.  I'm
recording HDTV off the air into mpeg ts files.

The mpeg TS files are huge, 2X+ the size of NTSC files recorded on a
PVR3500 card.  This is not surprising, to be expected.  The mpeg ts
files have a 1280x720 resolution, which I want to play on my 1920x1080
display.

I'm stuggling to get these large HDTV mpeg ts streams to play smoothly
on the 2.4GHZ P4 with NVIDIA FX 5200 using xvmc and ffpmeg12mc.  Is this
surprising?  After researching and reading various posts, I expected my
P4 to be able to play these files with xvmc.  I struggling with severe
A/V sync issues.  I don't have my high definition monitor yet, I'm
attempting to play these on an NTSC TV with TV out.  Is this maybe more
difficult to do?  Some downscaling issue maybe?  Playing these files
consumes the entire CPU between mplayer and Xorg.

Should I be transcoding these files to mpeg4 or x264?  (I'm actually
experimenting with that now).  I'm interested in the transcoding option
for 2 reasons; 1) to allow my P4 to play them, 2) to conserve on disk
space.

Does compressing the video files make my playback problems harder or easier?

Can anyone offer advice on what I should be pursuing in order to play
HDTV recordings on my fancy LCD display with freevo?

Thanks,

Jim