Jim Duda wrote:
> The mpeg TS files are huge, 2X+ the size of NTSC files recorded on a
> PVR3500 card.  This is not surprising, to be expected.  The mpeg ts
> files have a 1280x720 resolution, which I want to play on my 1920x1080
> display.

OK, so you have 720p. Nit that hard. Recordings with 1920x1080 would
be much harder.

> I'm stuggling to get these large HDTV mpeg ts streams to play smoothly
> on the 2.4GHZ P4 with NVIDIA FX 5200 using xvmc and ffpmeg12mc.  Is this
> surprising?

I did not try it, I don't have such streams (and I don't have 2.4
GHz), but it seems to be the limit. But IIRC xvmc should do all the
work. Do not use xvmc for a test, maybe the hardware decode can't
handle such huge files and try normal xv. Take a look at the CPU
load.

> Playing these files consumes the entire CPU between mplayer and
> Xorg.

Mplayer should use the CPU, X should not. Try xv for a change.

> Should I be transcoding these files to mpeg4 or x264?  (I'm actually
> experimenting with that now).  I'm interested in the transcoding option
> for 2 reasons; 1) to allow my P4 to play them, 2) to conserve on disk
> space.

x264 is good for 2) and a very bad idea for 1). In fact, decoding
H.264 takes much more CPU power. By old 2.6 GHz Pentium wasn't able to
play 720p H.264 files. On the other hand, my new Core 2 Duo only uses
one Core and can decode the files with cpufreqd slowing down the CPU
to 1.5 GHz.

> Does compressing the video files make my playback problems harder or
> easier?

Harder.

> Can anyone offer advice on what I should be pursuing in order to
> play HDTV recordings on my fancy LCD display with freevo?

I also bought a fancy LCD ... and a Core 2 Duo 6400 to use it.

HTH

Dischi

--
panic("bad_user_access_length executed (not cool, dude)");
kernel 2.0.38 /usr/src/linux/kernel/panic.c