Eric,
I'm using the latest version 9746.  I haven't tried any earlier versions.  When
playing 1280x720 content,
my 2.4Ghz P4 is pegged with Xorg using 60% of the CPU and mplayer using 40% of
the CPU.  I know
that xvmc is working, since I get the information from mplayer that it's using
the nvidia drivers.  I've checked
to insure that AGP is configured properly.  (/proc/driver/nvidia)

I am trying to play these using TVout, I'm not sure if there is some processing
going on to downscale to 800x600.
I'm getting my flat screen in another week or so.

I'm trying to determine if I need to upgrade to a faster CPU or at a minimum a
hyperthreding CPU.
Jim