> On 3/15/07, Tom Weichmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> 4:3
>> ourput

>> the
>> mode,

>> either xv

>> realize
>> and
>> from
>> did not
>> seems to
>> using
>> from the
>> tried
>> reboot or

>> 0.4
>> and
>> before
>> version.

>> > What happens when you comment out the TV_IVTV_OPTIONS settings? Is
>> > everything fine?
>> >
>> > What settings do you want to change from the defaults?
>> >
>> > I assume that SuSE 10.0 uses kernel 2.6.15 or lower, is this correct?
>> >
>> > There is a debug mode for Freevo's ivtv interface which is run by
>> typing:
>> > freevo execute /path/to/ivtv.py
>> > it may show you something but it may need tweaking first.
>> >
>> > Duncan
>> >

>> Duncan,
>>
>> I tried commenting out the TV_IVTV_OPTIONS and still got the same
>> results.  I
>> also copied the mplayer line that Freevo uses and DO NOT have the same
>> problem when I use it at the command line.  I also tried using xine to
>> watch
>> TV through freevo - same problem.
>>
>> I tried talking to the IVTV guys on IRC and they think that this is a
>> Freevo
>> problem.
>>
>> The only other thing that I can think of to look at are the following
>> lines
>> from my local_conf.py:

>> TV_VIEW_SIZE = (640, 480)
>> TV_REC_SIZE = (320, 240)   # Default for slower computers
>>
>> # Input formats for viewing and recording. The format affect viewing
>> # and recording performance. It is specific to your hardware, so read
>> # the MPlayer docs and experiment with mplayer to see which one fits
>> # your computer best.
>> TV_VIEW_OUTFMT = 'yuy2'   # Better quality, slower on pure FB/X11
>> TV_REC_OUTFMT  = 'yuy2'

>> Any idea if these could mess things up?
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>>
>> Tom Weichmann

> I have been wrestling with the same problem now for a few weeks.  I
> have a PVR-150 card.  I'm running Freevo 1.7 and ivtv 0.10.1 with
> kernel 2.6.19.
>
> I don't have any problems with my aspect ratio, but it looks like the
> frames or fields are getting played out of order.  When things move
> they look very jerky.  This doesn't happen before I start freevo.
> Afterwards the video is "stuck" that way.  I tried to see which
> settings freevo is changing, but the only one I could find, I found in
> [...]

TV_IVTV_OPTIONS = {
 'input'         : 0,
 'resolution'    : '720x480',
 'aspect'        : 2, // in 1.7.0 change this to 1
 'audio_bitmask' : 233,
 'bframes'       : 3, // in 1.7.0 change this to 2
 'bitrate_mode'  : 0,
 'bitrate'       : 6000000,
 'bitrate_peak'  : 9000000, // default is 8600000
 'dnr_mode'      : 0,
 'dnr_spatial'   : 0,
 'dnr_temporal'  : 8,
 'dnr_type'      : 0,
 'framerate'     : 0,
 'framespergop'  : 15, // the default is 12
 'gop_closure'   : 1,
 'pulldown'      : 0,
 'stream_type'   : 0,
}

There is a small bug in freevo-1.7.0, which is fixed in svn, that sets
aspect and bframes one higher than the ivtv drivers < 0.8.0. Why this
should make the recording jerky is possibly a bug in the firmware.

Technical explanation

The ivtv drivers < 0.8.0 simply uses the setting as defined in the
firmware api. ivtv drivers >= 0.8.0 translate the setting to more logical
settings.

aspect=2 set the recording to 16x9, ivtv drivers < 0.8.0 set the recording
aspect to 4x3.

bframes=3 gives 3 b-frames between i and p-frames, ivtv drivers < 0.8.0
put 2 b-frames between.

3 b-frames doesn't make sense with a framespergop of 15,
(iBBBpBBBpBBBpBBi) as one b-frame is missing. When 2 is used then
(iBBpBBpBBpBBpBBi) then everything add up.

IIRC i was using a framespergop=12 and the recordings were still jerky
with 3 b-frames, this should be ok but isn't.

Solution is to either update to the latest svn version *or* change:
 'aspect'        : 1,
 'bframes'       : 2,

Hopefully there are no other translated values

Duncan