> On 4/25/07, Duncan Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > On 3/15/07, Tom Weichmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I don't have any problems with my aspect ratio, but it looks like the
>> > frames or fields are getting played out of order.  When things move
>> > they look very jerky.  This doesn't happen before I start freevo.
>> > Afterwards the video is "stuck" that way.  I tried to see which
>> > settings freevo is changing, but the only one I could find, I found in
>> > the code and changed it (it was the 0x3000 setting for NTSC which is
>> > 0x1000 by default) it didn't fix the issue.
>> >
>> > I really hope there is a solution to this problem.
>>
>> TV_IVTV_OPTIONS = {
>>  'input'         : 0,
>>  'resolution'    : '720x480',
>>  'aspect'        : 2, // in 1.7.0 change this to 1
>>  'audio_bitmask' : 233,
>>  'bframes'       : 3, // in 1.7.0 change this to 2
>>  'bitrate_mode'  : 0,
>>  'bitrate'       : 6000000,
>>  'bitrate_peak'  : 9000000, // default is 8600000
>>  'dnr_mode'      : 0,
>>  'dnr_spatial'   : 0,
>>  'dnr_temporal'  : 8,
>>  'dnr_type'      : 0,
>>  'framerate'     : 0,
>>  'framespergop'  : 15, // the default is 12
>>  'gop_closure'   : 1,
>>  'pulldown'      : 0,
>>  'stream_type'   : 0,
>> }
>>
>> There is a small bug in freevo-1.7.0, which is fixed in svn, that sets
>> aspect and bframes one higher than the ivtv drivers < 0.8.0. Why this
>> should make the recording jerky is possibly a bug in the firmware.
>>
>> Technical explanation
>>
>> The ivtv drivers < 0.8.0 simply uses the setting as defined in the
>> firmware api. ivtv drivers >= 0.8.0 translate the setting to more
>> logical
>> settings.
>>
>> aspect=2 set the recording to 16x9, ivtv drivers < 0.8.0 set the
>> recording
>> aspect to 4x3.
>>
>> bframes=3 gives 3 b-frames between i and p-frames, ivtv drivers < 0.8.0
>> put 2 b-frames between.
>>
>> 3 b-frames doesn't make sense with a framespergop of 15,
>> (iBBBpBBBpBBBpBBi) as one b-frame is missing. When 2 is used then
>> (iBBpBBpBBpBBpBBi) then everything add up.
>>
>> IIRC i was using a framespergop=12 and the recordings were still jerky
>> with 3 b-frames, this should be ok but isn't.
>>
>> Solution is to either update to the latest svn version *or* change:
>>  'aspect'        : 1,
>>  'bframes'       : 2,
>>
>> Hopefully there are no other translated values
>>
>> Duncan
>>

> Changing the b-frames as described above fixed the problem for me.
> Thank you so much for your help.  It's amazing that the problem could
> be that simple to fix, and yet, I never tried changing it to that.  I
> think I tried setting bframes to 0 at one point, which also didn't
> work.  Since I didn't know which of those values was wrong, it would
> [...]

Really the thanks should go to Justin Wetherell he found the correct
settings. Then it was easy to find the bug.

When freevo-1.7.1 comes out, this weekend, the settings will need to be
changed back. ie:
 'aspect'        : 2,
 'bframes'       : 3,

What's still foxing me a bit is why the PVR-500 had smooth recordings and
the PVR-350 had jerky recordings.

And why the quality of the PVR-500 recordings is noticeably lower than the
PVR-350.

I wonder if anybody else has has a PVR-500 and has noticed that the live
tv through freevo is not as the direct tv.

Cheers,
Duncan