Hi Stephen,

On 6/7/07, Stephen Rowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Using 2.6.21 I can finally get reliable data from my via EPIA system
> about temperature - yay!
>
> I've updated the Sensors section of the idlebar wiki:
>
> http://freevo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/doc/IdlebarPlugins
>
> to include a mini howto with the plugin line you need. Anyone wanting
> this to work will need this bug fixed in their freevo distribution:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1731892&group_id=46652&atid=446895
>
> (thanks Duncan!)
>
> It also seems that the via driver returns data at a different scale for
> the CPU than the other data - sigh, so as described in the wiki link
> above, you will need to scale the original temp up by a factor of 10
> before then scaling.

I'm the author of said driver. No need to sigh, that behavior is by
design for good reasons :-) The driver returns what the chip reads at
its inputs. For temp1, this value depends on the implementation of the
board (value of external scaling resistors). The driver can't possibly
know what does values are so scaling is left to the user. Temp2 is
different since it's the chips internal temperature which is always
identical for all boards and thus the driver does the correct scaling.

Check out Documentation/hwmon/vt1211 in the kernel source tree for a
detailed description of the driver.

...juerg