Juerg Haefliger wrote:
>> It also seems that the via driver returns data at a different scale for
>> the CPU than the other data - sigh, so as described in the wiki link
>> above, you will need to scale the original temp up by a factor of 10
>> before then scaling.
>>

> I'm the author of said driver. No need to sigh, that behavior is by
> design for good reasons :-) The driver returns what the chip reads at
> its inputs. For temp1, this value depends on the implementation of the
> board (value of external scaling resistors). The driver can't possibly
> know what does values are so scaling is left to the user. Temp2 is
> different since it's the chips internal temperature which is always
> identical for all boards and thus the driver does the correct scaling.
>
> Check out Documentation/hwmon/vt1211 in the kernel source tree for a
> detailed description of the driver.
>
> ...juerg
My sigh wasn't about the driver, more the slightly strange behaviour
difference between the sensors config and the config needed in freevo. I
understand that scaling has to be done outside the driver :)

In /etc/sensors.conf there is the following for temp1:

    compute temp1  (@ - 73.869) / 0.9528,  (@ * 0.9528) + 73.869

For most sensors using freevo idlebar plugin all you do is copy and past
the section "(@ - 73.869) / 0.9528" and let it do its stuff. However for
some reason to get this to work correctly you need to add the extra *10,
as I documented:

((@ * 10) - 73.869) / 0.9528')

Just seems a bit weird and inconsistent, I don't know whats going on
here and why sensors.conf doesn't need the *10 scale but freevo does.

And thanks for the driver! Finally with 2.6.21 I have sensors that work,
I've been worrying about my board as I've squeezed it into a small case,
now I can rest easy that the temps are in range :D