1) easy to do, just plug your pc on the tv and it should work (I got a
ati 9600 se tv out plugged on the tv as only screen)

2) Regarding the startup options you should fin what you need on the wiki.
I'm runiing feisty 7.04 and I choose gdm start with an autologin and an
Xsession starting X and freevo.
You should be able to the same without gdm.

3&4&5) You don't need to start a WM (actually, xdm is not a wm, it's a
login manager like gdm). You said you need
a WM for vnc. But you don't :)  You can enable vnc module of X11 and X
will act like a vnc server. It works
well, you don't need to setup a vnc server or to use a wm for that.
I follow this
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_VNC_to_connect_to_existing_X_Sessions#Method_2:__X_Server_.28system-started.29_method
on the ubuntu. Adding the Load "vnc" works out of the box, I don't
remember to install something else.

A last trick about the boot up process, I was tired to wait the pc to
boot up when I just want to listen some music, so I
setup the suspend acpi function and this way when I shutdown freevo, it
puts my computer in sleep. To startup from
sleep it take less than 10 seconds ;)

To answer the last question "how did you set everything up ?" : slowly
reading lot of documentation, the wiki, and search the web
to learn to configure each component :)

Regards