Hi,

I've been browsing through the instructions on Freevo automatic startup
during system startup (eg, in case of 'unattended' dedicated media center
box). The problem is I can't find instructions for Ubuntu. The instructions
pointed out on Wiki configuration page are for standard 'unix' init system
(which has 'inittab' file), while Ubuntu 6.10 and up (Feisy 7.04) is using a
different 'Upstart' event based init system. Alas for me it's just a little
bit more than sheer words (I don't know much about Linux internal workings,
even less so on subtle differences between different distos). From what I
understand while the "Upstart" would still respect inittab file if it's
found, the recommended way to startup things is through event based model.
I'm even more cautious here, since on Freevo wiki it's said that modifying
'inittab' file is 'dangerous' and might render entire system unusable.

So, I wonder if anyone can recommend a setup to start up freevo under Ubuntu
6.10 and up? Below is the description of the kind of system I want to build:

1) dedicated LIRC controlled Freevo powered media center with TV plugged in
as the only screen
2) automatic startup of Freevo during system boot
3) possibility to manage the box with VNC
4) no KDM, GDM or other 'heavy duty' window manager installed (which means
KDE or GDM window management XSession facilities can not be used to start up
Freevo)
5) some 'lightweight' window manager (xdm?...) to  provide basic
functionality for remote VNC server management

For now I run freevo under the dedicated X manager with the output done to
TV, everything being startup manually from tty1 after I log in to that
console:

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit freevo -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -layout TV &

Does anyone have similar system configured? How did you set everything up?
(primarily - Freevo startup on system boot up)

Thanks!

Vlad