I ended up solving this problem myself using automount.

In my local_conf.py, I have:

plugin.activate('usb')
plugin.activate('usbstorage', type='video', args=('USB Device 1',
'/mnt/usb/device_a'))
plugin.activate('usbstorage', type='audio', args=('USB Device 1',
'/mnt/usb/device_a'))
plugin.activate('usbstorage', type='image', args=('USB Device 1',
'/mnt/usb/device_a'))
plugin.activate('usbstorage', type='video', args=('USB Device 2',
'/mnt/usb/device_b'))
plugin.activate('usbstorage', type='audio', args=('USB Device 2',
'/mnt/usb/device_b'))
plugin.activate('usbstorage', type='image', args=('USB Device 2',
'/mnt/usb/device_b'))

my /etc/auto.master has:

#
# Sample auto.master file
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# For details of the format look at autofs(5).
#
/misc   /etc/auto.misc
/net    -hosts
/mnt/usb /etc/auto.usb --timeout=2 --debug
#
# Include central master map if it can be found using
# nsswitch sources.
#
# Note that if there are entries for /net or /misc (as
# above) in the included master map any keys that are the
# same will not be seen as the first read key seen takes
# precedence.
#
+auto.master

my /etc/auto.usb has:

device_a         -fstype=vfat,rw,gid=100,umask=002       :/dev/sda1
device_b         -fstype=vfat,rw,gid=100,umask=002       :/dev/sdb1

I did run into one problem with automount, I found out that I had to remove
/dev/random and create a link from
/dev/random to /dev/urandom.  For some reason, /dev/random was causing
automount to not start.

I hope that helps.  This has worked just fine for me.

Jim