hi,
there's a much easier way to switch subtitles, even while playing a
video. :)

just add this line to your local_conf.py:
EVENTS['video']['SUBLANG'] = Event(VIDEO_SEND_MPLAYER_CMD,
arg='sub_select')

and in your lircrc you'll need to assign a key to the SUBLANG event,
thene you'll be able to cycle through your subtitles while playing the
video (subtitle off is also included in that cycle).

of course the subtitle file will have to be named so that mplayer
recognizes them automatically. for example if you have "Movie.avi", your
subtitles should be named "Movie.*"

greetings
Bastian Farkas