Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 10:55 +0100, Duncan Webb wrote:
>> When comparing the picture quality of TV broadcasts from CRT TVs and TFT
>> TVs the picture quality was simply much better with the CRTs.
>
> I'm rather tempted to say the reason is, paradoxically, because of the
> added (temporal) resolution and (spacial) clarity in the newer
> progressive displays.  My best guess is that thanks to phosphor decay in
> CRTs, you effectively get the rough equivalent of a blend deinterlacer
> for each pair of fields, which also serves to smooth out artifacts and
> other noise that are rampant in analogue and lower resolution
> broadcasts.
>
> So, maybe apply a gaussian blur to every frame coming from an analogue
> source before displaying to a progressive HD display and it might look
> "equivalent" to your average CRT. :)

I guess it depends on the source. Years ago I watched a VCD on my
monitor because my TV was broken. The result was very bad. But for
analog TV broadcasts you can record in higher quality, PAL/NTSC isn't
that bad. But you shouldn't use the small VCD resolution. If you record
the full 480 or 576 pixel height, the quality is ok.

Dischi

--
"[Our enemies] never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and
 our people, and neither do we." (George W. Bush, August 5th 2004)