On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Anders Eriksson <aeriks...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Forgot this part,
>
> ehi...@gmail.com said:
>> Targeting Cell-phones is going to need some serious small stream or flash.
>> The problem with something "encoding" to adapt to bandwidth is that the image
>> quality would have to fluctuate and that would be a terrible viewing
>> experience: bigger pipe, better quality; smaller pipe, lower quality. This is
>> also a reason cell-phone video is both small and often crappy.
>
> It's not unusual to get 300kbps on 3G around here. I've encoded tv shows down
> to 300kbps and regularly play them back on my cellphone with acceptable
> experience (eg. you can read the subtitles). I hear Darwin is a good streaming
> server and it does the bw adaptation etc. I'll have to wire it up and see what
> happens.
>
> /A

There is really not much in the .fxd as far as pretty goes. It does
keep show information and that can be accessed by another parser. If
Darwin does that, then use it. As for security, well that is not
really Freevo's strong suit. It does not have any major known security
holes but it is not a hardened application. You will want to be sure
you are not running it as root if you are letting it talk to the
world.

Evan