On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Andreas Dick wrote:

By default (and if the python alsa bindings are installed) the alsa
mixer is used now. If the python alsa bindings are not installed freevo
will revert to trying the oss mixer plugin.
So, the alsa binidngs are well installed due to a dependecie.
I did not update to 1.9.2 yet, using just 1.9.0 of Maverick repo:
-> using the mixer plugin (thus doing noting and using the default) I
configured as followed:
AUDIO_DEVICE       = '/dev/snd/hwC0D0'
AUDIO_INPUT_DEVICE = '/dev/snd/hwC0D0'
MIXER_MAJOR_CTRL   = 'Master'
MIXER_MAJOR_MUTE_CTRL = 'Master'
MIXER_DEVICE          = '/dev/snd/controlC0'
MIXER_CONTROL_ALL     = 1
MIXER_VOLUME_MAX      = 100
MIXER_VOLUME_DEFAULT  = 60

I get an error messages like:
2011-03-06 21:49:53,237 WARNING  mixer.py (175): Cannot set mixer
"/dev/snd/controlC0" volume: [Errno 25] Unpassender IOCTL (I
/O-Control) für das Gerät
2011-03-06 21:49:53,237 WARNING  mixer.py (175): Cannot set mixer
"/dev/snd/controlC0" volume: [Errno 25] Unpassender IOCTL (I/O-Control) für
das Gerät

did I understand something wrong now? or what default alsa mixer meant you
above?

thanks for help
Andreas
You want to disable the mixer plugin and use the alsamixer plugin, then you'll need to set the config variables required by that plugin.
Here's the info for the plugin from 1.9.2 (I don't have 1.9.0 to hand):

------------
Mixer for ALSA,. This plugin requires the alsaaudio module from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyalsaaudio/. For Debian, install the
python-alsaaudio package and you're all set.

In addition to the plugin specific variables this plugin also uses the
following general configuration variables:

| MIXER_MAJOR_CTRL      = 'VOL' # Freevo takes control over one audio ctrl
|                               # 'VOL', 'PCM' 'OGAIN' etc.
| MIXER_MAJOR_MUTE_CTRL = 'PCM' # used in alsamixer.py, There are systems
| # where volume and mute use different controls | MIXER_CONTROL_ALL = 1 # Should Freevo take complete control of audio
| MIXER_VOLUME_STEP     = 5     # Amount to increment the mixer volume
| MIXER_VOLUME_MAX = 90 # Set what you want maximum volume level to be.
| MIXER_VOLUME_DEFAULT  = 40    # Set default volume level.

Plugin configuration variables:
-------------------------------
ALSA_CARDID: Alsa Card id
Default: 0

ALSA_LINE_CARDID: Alsa Line Card id
Default: 0

ALSA_MIXER_NAME: Alsa Mixer Name
Default: 'Master'

ALSA_PCMMIXER_NAME: Alsa PCM Mixer Name
Default: 'PCM'

ALSA_LINEMIXER_NAME: Alsa Line Mixer Name
Default: 'Line'

ALSA_MICMIXER_NAME: Alsa Mic Mixer Name
Default: 'Mic'

ALSA_SYNCMIXER_NAME: Alsa Sync Mixer Name
Default: 'Master Surround'

ALSA_SYNCMIXER: Alsa Sync Mixer Name
Default: '0'

Cheers