Nick,

> Let's say we are in two dodgem's cars on an empty dodgem's
> thingy.  Let's say I am tryiing to collide with you.  To
> manage a collision I have to make all sorts of calculations
> that involve facts about me as well as facts about you.  For
> instance, if I do not not know the ratio of turning of the
> steering wheel to turning of my car (or the ratio of my
> movement of my arms to the turning of of the steering wheel),
> then I cannot manage the collision, can I?  That is all
> information about ME.

I couldn't figure out what this was about at first, something about
setting a collision course with toy race cars...   Then I thought of the
response to discovering real danger and how a whole landscape of
possibilities explodes in your mind, regarding a suddenly very important
collision course.   I'd sure rate it as a defining experience of
self-consciousness.   Say you're on a winter hike through a beautiful
snowy woods, and you kind of loose track of time trying to get back to
the trail, and with an unexpected shudder you find you're actually
rather cold and don't really know which way it is or how far to the car.
All your powers of physical analysis rush in as the dozen scenarios and
many choices within each survival strategy suddenly take over your
thoughts.

One might say only minds using world models with self-images playing
roles are self-conscious.  I think there's more to what consciousness
itself is though.  Maybe the most primitive state of consciousness is
simply having an identity, a presence as an individual, whether you have
a brain for making 'pictures' or any other part of the multiplex theater
that consciousness is for people.  In-between is the kind of
consciousness when you just behave coherently with a completely blank
mind, perhaps the most normal kind of consciousness.  We're completely
unaware of most of our smooth executions of very complicated
interactions with our world, and there's lots of amazing 'collision
course calculus' involved too.   Just a kiss is an amazingly complex
orchestration of physical systems we don't need to pay any attention to.
Are we conscious *of* something happening at the time, sure, but I think
the consciousness experienced and displayed goes a lot deeper than what
might dart through our minds.