From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Phil Henshaw
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 10:58 AM
To: 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group'
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Democracy and evolution

well... sort of...   For one of a million examples, if we multiply our
impacts on the earth by adding 10 billion people this century, how much
is that relieved by sending 50 or 100 people off to live somewhere else
if they can???   Sometimes we should look at the numbers and the timing
of things.

It may raise more questons than it answers,... but another one I like is
estimating the value of the bomb hardening of federal buildings, like
the one I'm building now, a big courthouse.   It probably adds at least
10 million to the cost.   If you guess there are at least 5000 higher
priority targets for terrorists in the US than a courthouse in
Mississippi, and terrorists wipe out one a year like clock work, that
means it'll be at least 5000 years before they get around to mine.
Given that the lifetime of the building is expected to be 100 years it's
apparent that nature will build and destroy it at least 50 times before
a terrorist does, and the lost opportunity cost of $10 million for 5000
years the way you normally calculate it at 3.5% return is 1.8*10^84.
That's a lot of bread!!

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]