Phil et al: I believe one of the key "popular" books which addresses these
issues of continuing economic expansion based on an exploitation of natural
resources with no regard to the environment and the natural systems on which we

all depend, is Jared Diamond's Collapse.  In my mind, the economic  systems
that we have produced cannot continue much longer and, if not us, our  children
and grandchildren will face a much different, more difficult, more  dangerous
world.  The proper use of some of our existing tools, such  as communication,
computers, modeling, complexity/chaos theories may help if  they are properly
applied and not just used to reinforce the current systems.

For those of you who heard Ian's presentation on group animal movement, we
might consider humanity to be more akin to locusts, who form swarms out of
individual hunger and by biting their neighbors to move the group.   Sigh.
Something to think about anyway.

Paul Paryski