Markus wrote:
> Phil Henshaw wrote:
>
> >That could cause a wave of change in how
> >money is used to multiply money.    The people following the new
> >practice could choose not to do business with those clinging
> to the old way, interpreting it as 'cheating'.
>
> A robust system has to at least tolerate clever people acting in their

> own self interest.

Yes, and perceptions of self-interest can change.  For the people of the
Soviet Union their totalitarian system lost credibility and the
expressed self-interest of the vast majority shifted abruptly as a
result.

> The profits from financial instruments are so big
> that just making something taboo wouldn't slow rational people from
> doing it.   It would have to be illegal to significantly slow, and
that
> would require a broad consensus throughout the major governments and
> financial centers of the world not to mention a highly-instrumented
> banking data processing infrastructure for enforcement by agents
acting
> in the public interest.

Absolutely!   We're talking about a system that could not be changed
without a substantial global consensus that there's something deeply
wrong with a plan to just explosively multiply economic activity and
never establish a sustainable system of life support.

> Maybe Ralph Nader in front of a terminal press
> "Y" and "N"?    Perhaps funders of terrorism will motivate such a
system
> and it could then be retasked?

I guess you're trying to say it would take events that could never
happen?   Never is a big word.  There are lots to things that seem like
they could never happen just because people haven't thought of how to do
it yet.

> Another view is that the `explosions' are unavoidable and akin
> evolutionarily to punctuated equilibrium.

Yes, all complex systems seem to come about through an explosion of
organizational development.  It perfectly fits the MO of the 'missing
data' and whole system change of state patterns of punctuated
equilibrium.  This could account for the appearance that the great
majority of evolutionary change occurs by organizational change spurts
in a growth system.  It clearly applies to the 500 year growth spurt of
modern civilization.   Now we're at the 'big wow' point where the future
becomes visible, and we begin to see a clear choice.   Growth taken to
it's absolute limit always leads to an absolutely impenetrable wall of
complexity, at which point turbulence or it's equivalents interrupt the
whole process.   I don't think we want to do that.

> Some problems can only be
> addressed with huge wealth and a focus that a democracy may have
trouble
> finding.  Thus the Gaia of $$$ finds people like Bill & Melinda Gates,

> and Warren Buffett to soak up the excess and ultimately channel it.

I'd tend to agree that's a plausible good side of concentrated wealth,
even if Bill and Warren are still believers in the idea that the
greatest good for all is done by giving them the most money, which I
doubt.  If people and institutions were no longer able to multiply their
wealth by driving the environment around them to multiply its returns to
them for..., there would still be a use for single creative individuals
having control over how large sums of money are used.   I can't predict
how that would develop, but I expect it would.