Glad you like it!   Sometimes a model works better when it's not
completely consistent with the facts.   The beginning of growth is never
a big event, but calling it 'an earth shaking boom' conveys the
significance of it's as yet undiscovered future.    This one also plays
a little loose with switching back and forth between an 'inside' and
'outside' point of view without mentioning it.

The change in reality idea is both literal and metaphor.   Because I can
prove that giving up the principle method of concentrating wealth is
necessary for establishing any sustainable life-support system on earth
(if for no other reason because decision making can't keep up) clearly
says we're headed into uncharted territory.     One could think of it as
a kind of reset button on the whole game, a quite different set of
questions and challenges.     When a system that will have a successful
growth goes through the inflection point (the point where the ultimate
limits & goals appear) the measures of change switch from being
departures from the past (adding %'s to what is) to homing in on the
future (subtracting %'s from the remoteness of the goal).    Mostly
people have thought that should be avoided at all cost since it sounds
like slowing change to a stop, and because operating a growth system
without growth amounts to constant internal war with no relief, sort of
the definition of feudalism.   Since the growth of the modern world
began around 600 years ago we've had what I'd call 'feudalism with
relief', a strange amalgam of liberty, creativity and overlords...
It's things of those kinds that are bound to change.

The tools I use to "drill down analytically into the various levels of
data that should be found in the period between Before and After" are on
my web site.    The collection is sort of a mess, with things of various
vintage, and unsuccessful experiments, but I think I've got at least a
good start on a rigorous method for exploring the data of unstable
systems, a large part of the data science has been discarding for a long
time as useless.   The big stumbling block seems to be the old habit of
thinking that the way to understand data is to replace it with
'timeless' formulas.   I turn that around to look at patterns in the
data for what's out there in the real world that's original.

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
explorations: www.synapse9.com <http://www.synapse9.com/>

Phil:

I like your model, and especially so if we can figure out ways to drill
down analytically into the various levels of data that should be found
in the period between Before and After.  And I just may use it in a
lecture in a few weeks (with all due attribution, of course).

You wrote: "....seem to be a natural misunderstanding coming from our
being swept up in a vast change in reality."

Was that a reference to a theoretical change in reality, or do you have
some specifics in mind?

-tj