Mike, how goes it?  Thanks for your note.

The field of science and technology studies is indeed interesting.  Over the
years I've tried to track cultural studies and philosophical works that have
tried to reveal the form of what is emerging.  The following authors turned
up: Taylor and Sararingen, Standage, Wertheim, Slouka, Calloway, Stone,
Heim, Brook and Boal, Ruskoff, Kroker and Weinstein, Turkle, Helmreich,
Harbers, Holtzman, De Landa, Deleuize and Guatari, Beauregard, Foucault, and
of course all the great novel by the cyberpunk writers and now the biopunk.
The thread here for me is the continuous expansion of the sensorium via
artificial means, including virtual networks and virtual space-time, the
space-time "wrinkling up of the globe" with some parts pulled much closer
together than other parts creating interesting cultural dislocations within
cities (digital divides of various kinds) and the creation of a Borges
library like approach to knowledge (that is the inability to separate
journalism from blogging or to determine what is or is not a good reliable
source). I wrote a piece based on a lecture of JT Frazer that tried to draw
the implications of what he called the techno primitive relative to decision
making.

In any case, your review of how the introduction of technology changes work
relationships, etc, is very useful and revealing. More of the same or
different?  Like the issue of design and productivity relative to the
velocity of technology innovation and fashion as its speeds around the
globe. Who will drive fashion when the China and India markets are bigger
than US and Europe combined? Japan's effects on US is a good example with
"hello Kitty" which was heavily influenced by Japan's experience with two
atom bombs (see Japan Society's exhibit catalogue: "Little Boy: The Arts of
Japan's Exploding Subculture", by Takashi Murakami.)  These are the
undercurrents that interest me the most.  They also reveal my interest in
the Santa Fe/cyberculture cross pollination.

Peace,

Gus

Gus Koehler, Ph.D.
President and Principal