There, see?  I knew you'd hate it.  All I can say is that Charm++ evolved to
its current state to meet a need:  to support massively parallel (> 1
million processor) HPC computing environments.  It addresses fault tolerance
and dynamic load balancing requirements which become incredibly important
when computing on this scale.  It also supports OO software development
methodology, which in spite of a few dissenting voices on this list is
generally viewed as a superior environment for software development (to
include ABM systems) than the old, hoary procedural environments.

--Doug

--
Doug Roberts, RTI International
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 6/5/07, Marcus G. Daniels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Douglas Roberts wrote:
> In that case, you will positively *hate* Charm++:

One disappointing thing about it is that they made a new language that
is mostly like C++ and translate it to C++ code (instead of, say, adding
features to the GCC OpenMP implementation for C++ and cross box thread
migration, or writing a new GCC front end).    Seems like it is mostly
an MPI-like object layer, but they maddeningly don't enhance OpenMPI to
their own needs, they do their own thing.

The array stuff reminds me of Chapel (http://chapel.cs.washington.edu),
but this has the benefit of being implemented!  Interesting they have
the NAMD molecular dynamics package running on the Cell..