I like the response below.  I've felt that the phrase "emergent behavior"
has been overused for quite some time now.  In the early days of running
TRANSIMS (a large-scale traffic simulator) we often found ourselves saying
"I didn't expect that behavior" upon seeing an unexpected series of traffic
flow patterns 'emerge' in simulations of a city with 8.6 million people
driving around over a 24 hour period.  Indeed, often times some of the
results were unexpected, however once analyzed they always made perfect
sense.

--Doug

--
Doug Roberts, RTI International
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 6/18/07, Günther Greindl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello Russell,

> "Sum of the parts" is more metaphoric than literal. IMHO, the key to
> the kingdom is emergence, and nonlinearity is only necessary to

I used to throw around the word "emergence" around until I noticed
that I used it there where I did not understand what was really going
on, like in: "consciousness? - simple - an emergent process"
Since then I have stopped using the word - it is, in fact, vacuous to
call something emergent - whereas ie. nonlinear has definite meaning.

The problem is that emergence seems to be the opposite of a
mechanistic or an algorithmic process; or an analytical one.
So it becomes a stop-gap concept for all processes which elude
our common problem solution techniques.

But no new explanation is obtained when one calls a process
emergent - on gets instead a false sense of security, of having
grasped something which in reality still eludes our understanding.

Best Regards,
Günther

--
Günther Greindl