Doug,

Well, I think the better choice is to try to understand why English
needs the word 'emerge' to letting us talk about the world.   Emerging
is appearing from nowhere, or coming out of the shadows or passing
through an opening or becoming fully formed.   The last one there points
to what we really want to mean by the term, right?   I think the others
apply to our perception or awareness of the things that change from
being unformed to fully formed, the subjective part of it.

The way I've been using to point to what and where emergence is, in the
'becoming fully formed' sense, is by identifying the growth of the
network of relations that is actually doing it, i.e. the network that is
becoming formed.    It takes a while to sort the categories of the all
the kinds of growth processes (trends with all derivatives positive) and
all the kinds of emergence (new networks of relationships), but once you
make a little headway with that you find that growth and emergence are
very oddly related 1 to 1, that every kind of growth accompanies a kind
of emergence and every kind of emergence accompanies a kind of growth.
Must be somehow connected!     :,)

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]