Glen E. P. Ropella wrote:
> But you're focusing on extrapolation, right?  It strikes me that you're
> not talking about heuristic (a.k.a. explanatory) models but about
> aggregative extrapolation.
More like looking for exploitable, repeatable cause/effect
inefficiencies in an ocean of activity.    My objection to ABM in this
kind of context is that the individual `strategies' may range from super
smart to virtually random.    The data stream can tell you when someone
made money, and there are lots of these examples each having particular
state of the book (for that equity and maybe a bunch of related ones)
and real world when it happened.    Correlating and deconstructing the
two into a taxonomy seems much more direct than tweaking agent rules
which are just educated guesses to begin with.   One could think about
skipping the deconstruction/taxonomy stuff for an automated learning
procedure (e.g. hidden markov model) that reproduced the individual firm
trading patterns given certain signals, but since money is on the line
perhaps that's not a great plan..