Owen,
To revise my reply on little nukes, saying they are better than the
others, but asking if you used 'the forumula'.   I might mention what
formula I meant.    The formula is $1=8000btu.    This is a curious
complex system fact of enormous significance.  What it means, and what I
meant to allude to with my quip, was that because $'s measure physical
things and their physical impacts, finding a new niche resource does not
solve the problem of multiplying impacts all over.   Say a little nuke
plant has a little less waste.  If you increase them exponentially
you'll still have exponentially increasing waste.  You'll also have
exponentially increasing impacts of all the uses that people put the
energy produced to.   If you look at the whole impact of things you get
a better picture than just considering the parts.   That's the intent of
my $shadow measure, which I again ref below.

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
explorations: www.synapse9.com

reposted..
The embodied energy of $1 is about 8000btu's*, consistently in all the
economies.  That means that as an economic product, dollars are a direct
measure of energy use.   That simply means that growth in dollars is a
direct measure of exponentially growing impacts of exploiting the earth
for energy, in nearly direct constant proportion.

Of the three main energy sources, fossil, nuclear, and competition for
land, which would you recommend for providing exponential increases of
energy forever, without consequences?   Think about it.  That's
different than the story we've been hearing from the masters of magic
all these years, as we pulled the whole construction of our civilization
out of a magic hole in the ground.   It turns out the world is what it
appears to be, a small blue ball, with a growth compulsion that *all*
the great promoters promised would be free, forever, and that turns out
to be wrong.

*- http://www.synapse9.com/design/dollarshadow.htm see DOE & other ref's