The observation that a robot, with or without unchanging primitive
elements of design, can potentially be capable of learning because it
operates in a world that itself is complex and indefinably changing,...
seems a close match to what's happening, and both theoretically and
operationally valid.  That it becomes impossible to say how... because
impossible to specify the interactions or fully understand the responses
is relevant too.

At the moment, because robots are extensions of our thinking, 'their'
way of organically adapting is that we watch how they work and build new
ones.   That works perfectly well as a natural system!   'Hands off'
robot evolution is far more limited, because the way we build machines
is with invariant primitives of many kinds.

The root problem is that equations are *so* self-sufficient that they
have no environmental interaction at all, and that all natural systems
are entirely different on that count.   Natural systems actually all
directly *grow out of* the environments they will continue to interact
with.  That equations don't do that and robots don't do that, except as
the man-equation & man-robot couples they are, is the rub.

That explaining why seems to be an ill-posed question, then, might it be
considered highly useful information too, about what information can
explain v. what we can only point to.

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
explorations: www.synapse9.com
-- "it's not finding what people say interesting, but finding what's
interesting in what they say" --