Is it possible that you have made Calculus something more than it really is?
Could it JUST be a way of seeing a way  to find the instantaneous slope of
an equations solution graph and the area between limits under that curve.

  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Nicholas Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 10:46 PM
To: friam@redfish.com
Cc: echarles
Subject: [FRIAM] Mentalism and Calculus

All who have patience,

Once of the classic critiques of mentalism .... the belief that behavior is
caused by events in some "inner" space called the mind ... is that it
involves a category error. The term "category error" arises from ordinary
language philosophy (I think). You made a category error when you start
talking about some thing as if it were a different sort of thing altogether.
In other words, our language is full of conventions concerning the way we
talk about things, and when we violate those conventions, we start to talk
silly. To an anti-mentalist a "feeling" is something that arises when one
palpates the world and to talk about our "inner feelings", say, is to doom
ourselves to silliness. Feelings are inherently "of" other things and to
talk of "feeling our own feelings" is, well, in a word, nutty.

As many of you know, I have been engaged in a geriatric attempt to recover
what  slipped by me in my youth, the chance to understand the Calculus. As I
read more and more, it became clear to me that the differential calculus was
based on a huge "category error." To speak of a point as having velocity and
direction one had to speak of it at if it were something that it essentially
wasn't. And yet, of course, the Calculus flourishes.

Now the reason I am writing is that I am not sure where to go with this
"discovery." One way is to renounce my behaviorism on the ground that
category errors ... any category errors ... are just fine. Another way is to
start to think of the mind/behavior distinction in some way analogous to the
derivative/function distinction. That mind is just the derivative of
behavior. For instance, a motive, or an intention, is not some inner thing
that directs behavior, but rather the limit of its behavioral direction. A
third way, is to wonder about how the inventors of calculus thought about
these issues. They, presumably, were steeped in mentalism and it cannot have
escaped their notice that they were attributing to points qualities that
points just cannot have. Many of the texts have been reading have alluded to
the idea that some contemporaries ... perhaps Newton himself ... attributed
to the Calculus some sort of mystic properties. I really would like to know
more about that. Any intellectual historians out there????

So, I am hoping somebody will help me go in any, or all, of these
directions.

--Nthompson
<http://www.sfcomplex.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Nthompson&action=ed
it>  04:14, 9 July 2008 (GMT)

This noodle, and perhaps some subsequent revisions and commentary, may be
found at http://www.sfcomplex.org/wiki/MentalismAndCalculus

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University ([EMAIL PROTECTED])