Russell Standish wrote:
> Actually a robot would probably do it the same way we do - trial and
> error with some kind of feedback loop.

Excuse a side remark on ABM toolkit stuff.

I hadn't played with Breve (http://breve.sf.net) until recently.  Some
relevant features:

1) 3d with collision detection, and event callbacks on collisions.

2) Native code / C++ implementation

3) Several language options, including Python, Steve, Lisp, and Push.
Push is a language intended for evolution of code (genetic programming).
(overhead of these seem not to be an obstacle for the 3d models, which
are bottlenecked on physics and 3d operations, much of that accelerated
by GPU hardware by way of OpenGL)