Russell,

You are absolutely right.  BioDynamic's Big Dog learned to walk over uneven
ground using evolutionary neural networks. So are ANN's math?  Well, yes (my
answer) and no.  Actually, it depends on your concept of math - which I
sense is rather rigidly defined within this discussion.  ANN's can solve
non-analytic equations, which are beyond differential equations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww

Ken