Nick,

Leave us not conflate clarity, concision and expressiveness.   One may
make tradeoffs, for example one may choose one computer language for its
large number of libraries and ability to say a great many things in many
ways, at the expense of concision and clarity.

As to envy, I think there is a kind of envy of the different kinds of
communities.  Compare, for example, the N-Category cafe with, say,
Slashdot.   In the latter, a CS person may begin to feel after a short
while that one is wasting one's time, in a way one does not in the
former, even if one does not consistently feel entirely sure of what is
being said in the former.

In contrast to the statement  "If you know where you are standing in
mathematics, you know where you stand", I would say "If you know where
you are standing in mathematics, you can appreciate better where you
*might* stand".  One can certainly have this appreciation in a CS world,
though I have a sense that in Mathematics there is a closer sense of the
history of one's particular community and therefore why people talk
about  particular mathematical subjects the way they do - the frames (as
Lakoff would use the term) are both more transparently indigenous and
explicit.  This seems to me particularly the case wrt algebra and
topology (oh yes and category theory); oddly, the more universal
something seems (e.g. Euclidean geometry), the less historically
grounded it feels.

I'm not sure of the origins of the notion that mathematical formalisms
convey "safety".  Surely one's appreciations are open to challenge;
somebody else drills a hole through one's cherished mappings, or opens
up some new field that in retrospect seems obvious to all in the midst
of  what one thought were  fundamental truths.   Mathematics seems a
more dangerous approach to reality; there are fewer "Turing Machine"
like constructs upon which one may rely.  It seems again that "safety"
is more a matter of taking refuge in the nature of the mathematical
community and its history.  This community and its history is not as
anecdotal as in many areas of science.  There is a kind of "mathematics
of the silos" that lets you explore one silo while also mapping it into
the others.  Both highly focused and highly open.

So, envy; I suppose so.   And if we can find ways to rationally bind our
model of how CS is done closer to the way Mathematics is done, Make The
Most Of It.

Unlike sausage and law, one can only love formalisms if one loves
watching them being made.

Carl