Well, the reliance on competence is relative to the difficulty of the task.
As our world explodes with new connections and complexity that's sort of in
doubt, isn't it?   Isn't Taleb's observation that when you have increasingly
complex problems with increasingly 'fat tailed' distributions of correlation
then you better not rely on analysis?   Anyone who takes that job is
probably running into 'black swans' aren't they?

Phil